Cheese boards are not only a great way to entertain guests without too much fuss, but they’re also a fun way to create an unexpected dinner. It’s fancy looking, but, not overly so! It’s whimsical and playful, but without all of the effort of baking and cooking.
So let’s talk about the basics: who, what and why do certain items go into a cheese board?
To our staff at Summerhill Market, making an ideal cheese board is all about creating balance: you need a combination of salty, sweet, crunchy, creamy and tangy. Once you tick off all the boxes, and fill in any blanks, you’ve got a pleasant looking appetizer or meal.
So let’s get to it, shall we:
- Start with the big items first like any bowls and cheese. When considering what types of cheeses you want to add on your tray, think about who will be eating it. Are there going to be children at your house? Will you be eating it? What do you like to eat? You also want to offer a combination of hard and soft cheese as well as sharp and mild. Our meat and deli counter staff have great knowledge of our cheese selection so please ask for help if you’re unsure of where to start.
- Add meats, bread, and crackers.
- Fill in any other bigger spaces with fruit and nuts.
- Then add olives, capers and any smaller bowls of dips or sauces.
- Finally, tuck in some fresh, edible greenery into any spaces that are still glaring and empty.
There’s no hard set of rules in terms of how much of each item you need and if you’re a vegetarian or vegan you can easily swap out each category for something that suits your lifestyle or dietary needs. We’ve seen it all and made it all!
Our stores offer a variety of items that combine together in beautiful masterpieces.
We’d love to hear what your must-have items are in a cheese board. Let us know in comments or via our social media DMs.