AS SUMMER COMES TO A CLOSE, WE WANT TO CELEBRATE AND GET EVERY LAST OUNCE OF SUNSHINE THAT WE CAN. WHAT A BETTER WAY TO MAKE THE MOST OF SUMMER THAN TO HAVE A PICNIC IN YOUR FAVOURITE TORONTO PARK? JOIN US FOR OUR BEST TIPS FOR A PICNIC IN THE #6IX.
You wrote to us and we listened. Here at Summerhill we take our customer’s feedback quite seriously, so we’ve made a few changes to our prepared foods packaging this summer. To make our efforts a little greener we are in the process of removing as much black plastic packaging as possible. Newest to the lineup are our white plastic BBQ chicken containers! Stay tuned as we continue research into compostable straws, paper bags at the cash, biodegradable plastic and more.
As always our aluminum goods are made with recycled products from the City of Toronto and can be recycled again quite easily with the city’s garbage program. Getting your food to-go just got that much more eco-friendly.
“You, Me and Iced Tea”
We all need to keep our coffee bills down from time to time, join us making iced teas and coffees at home! With major inspo from @Alfred coffee and tea, we decided to try a few recipes. Click here for our picks for the best Bulletproof coffee, and here for the key to cold brew. You can always go caffeine free with one of our cold pressed juices!
Passion Tea Lemonade Hack: Mix one part Summerhill’s Own Lemonade with one part brewed Tazo “Passion” flavour tea. For a strong iced tea, brew a 2-3 tea bags in hot water and use it as a concentrate when making iced drinks. Add a fresh lemon wedge or brown sugar to taste.
In order to avoid some serious Summer #fomo, we’re planning our own summer soirées and outdoor picnics with these essentials:
- Applewood smoked cheddar in mini packs
- Torres gourmet flavour potato chips
- Duero’s “Tapas Aperitivo” Antipasto mix
- Panzanello Crackers
- Bulbs of Fire Garlic Jelly (assorted flavours, the red pepper jelly is a good place to start)
- Summerhill’s Own Dip & House Cooked Chips
- Ace Demi Baguette & Summerhill’s Own Olive Tapenade
- Toasted Couscous with Tomato and Feta salad (available in the prepared foods department)
Don’t forget you can get your lunch and dinner items sorted from our produce market table we’ve got Applewood Smoked Pork Ribs, Creamy Coleslaw, Potato Salad, Macaroni Salad, and stone fruits galore to have yourself a sweet summer meal.
Ice Cream Dream
As you may be able to tell from our Instagram feed, we‘re a little obsessed with ice cream right now. And why not? The ice cream market is full of amazing dairy and non-dairy alternatives and theytaste pretty amazing. Whether you’re looking for a midnight snack or a creamy dairy-free alternative, we’ve done our market research and have you covered with the best of both worlds. Take our word for it and shop our favourites below:
- Classic #dairyfree #vegan Halo Top *Ed. note: Halo Top Cinnamon Roll contains gluten.
- Death in Venice Gelato – take a trip to Italy without the plane ticket
- Chimptreats Nice Cream – fruit based!
- Fiasco Gelato
- Fresh Bessie Ice Pops
Since our trip to Eataly in NYC, we’ve got all the feels for Italian inspired everything! Keep your pantry stocked with these items that’ll make any dish taste like it came from a loving nonna.
- Pepperoncini a.k.a hot peppers in olive oil (perfect spicy topper for pizzas, in tomato sauce, atop pasta salad and more)
- Frantonio Mureglia Olive Oil, now available in lush metallic gold bottles
- Summerhill’s Own Marinated Olives (available in Spicy and Rosemary Lemon)
- Tuna in olive oil – use on top of salads, or in pasta sauce as a great flavour enhancer